Last week the Governor of Indiana signed a new law that allows businesses with a religious objection to deny service to anyone that causes their religious objection.
Immediately following the signing of this state bill into law, there was a fast and furious response...pretty much all negative. So much negative response that the governor of Indiana, Mike Pence has said that a 'fix' is needed, but only because of how the law is being perceived...because of "the smear that's been leveled against this law."
Personally, I think everyone should let the law stand. Let Indiana, what was once what everyone would consider Midwestern Hospitality central become the exclusionary, possibly discriminatory state the lawmakers who drafted this bill want.
Frankly, any business owner that has any business sense whatsoever would be crazy to deny service to a customer, no matter what religious objections they may hold. Because what's going to happen when they do? More media firestorm? So much negative publicity you're forced out of business? What business owner wants or needs that? It's insane.
Of course, I don't think the bill was really meant for business owners or to really protect their rights. In fact, it seemed that most businesses in the state do not support the law in any way.
The only groups that are supporting the law (that I have found) are religious groups and small family businesses that have been around basically forever. The same folks who have an outsize strangle hold on the Republican party.
I've never really understood how someone who is gay or trans-sexual or whatever threatens someone else's religious morality. What happens if you serve that person...? Are you going to Hell? Do you not get the condo with the beachside view in Heaven? What is it exactly?
If two guys want to get married, is God going to blame you because you provided the flowers? Isn't everyone God's children?
"The Bible states that marriage can only be between one man and one woman" states the religious objector. What if one of the guys thinks he's a woman? In his heart-of-hearts, he knows he is a she. Can't that be close enough?
Why would God create all these gay people, just so businesses in Indiana can deny them service? What if it's against my religion to serve black people? Am I protected too? That's right! My religion states I'm going to Hell if I serve any black people!
Could someone actually do that? I hope not, but this law and others like it seem to make it at least plausible.
Personally, I think Indianans should let the law stand. Then, when any business objects to serving someone on religious grounds, publicize it. Take it to social media and let the court of public opinion be the judge. It could put them out of business. Or not.
The bottom line is that the law was made and written to get religious votes...Not to protect business owners. The politicians in the republican party understand all too well that without the religious votes, they would be losing a lot more elections. So the politicians currently in power throw them a bone. In the case of Indiana, it looks like the Governor as well as the legislature just really underestimated the national response to this law.
No comments:
Post a Comment